Saturday, May 4, 2013

Get Familiar: AphterDarkBeats

Up in the Northeast Kingdom, the name Hartswick is quite the musical lineage, so it's no suprise to find a young Aidan Hartswick from Underhill hitting us up with a Soundcloud full of beats. We hit him up to talk shop...

Who are your inspirations and where do you want to be in 5 years?

ADB: I listen to all kinds of music from rock, to hip hop, to r&b. As producers, my biggest inspirations are guys like Dreamrite, Captain Midnite, G-Eazy, and Jaynari (of Justice League). For artists, guys like Logic, Problem, The Weeknd, Chance the Rapper, are all big influences on me. Also all of the BeastCoast groups like Pro Era, Flatbush Zombies, and The Underachievers have all been very inspiring and influential for me. In five years, I will want to be graduating from college with a business degree and hopefully still be professionally producing music and working with all sorts of talented artists.



Do you feel like Vermont has an active and supportive hip hop scene?

ADB: For sure. I think this area is just really supportive of music in general. I think Vermont is really open and accepting of all sorts of music and its no different for hip hop. I think VT hip hop is definitely growing, and guys like Jacob Es are just taking it to the next level.



What kind of equipment are you using to produce....and what kind would you like to be using?

ADB: Currently I have a very rudimentary set up with Magix Music Maker and an old midi keyboard from my older sister's piano lesson days. I use a handful of VST's, but in general my set-up is extremely basic. I wish I could be using Reason with some wicked nice MIDI and an MPC and have one of those studios that you see guys like Lex Luger and Jahlil Beats using. But for now what I have works and I'm just happy to be making music.



No comments: